Sunday, September 25, 2005

Classes

Short post- it's late, I'm tired, and the computer just ate the first draft of this, so if this doesn't sound clever, assume that the first version was brilliant and sparklingly witty, as of course it was if it was written by myself. Anyway...finished registering for classes- I'm taking twelve hours a week plus four hours of physics lab, a paltry sum compared to Talia's course load and one that will leave me with oodles of free time, some of which may be filled by whatever extra-curriculars I will acquire at the club fair tomorrow, if any.
Anyway, Shmuli and I (who had a lot of free time watching Chaim run around the park) wondered how this compared to other college's schedules, so we decided to call for general family input. David, Joe, Talia (Stern days only, we all know about Bar Ilan)- how does this compare? And how does the fact that mine is a quarter system contribute to the whole thing? And for that matter, Shmuli, you can answer too, because I have unfortunately forgotten whatever number it was that you mentioned. As I said, it is late.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

What did you do with all that free time? Clubs or hanging out or what? Or did homework fill it all

4:34 PM

 
Blogger Shmuli said...

Hey, don't mess with David. Bridge club took at least 12 hours a week.

5:25 PM

 
Blogger Shmuli said...

I maxed out at 21 credit hours a semester. I think, though, that you may be missing the rigor of the respective institutions or the rigor per credit hour. Sure, while Talia's 40 hours a week of class may sound inhumane, my Israeli sources tell me that outside reading is virtually unheard of in Israeli colleges. U.S. colleges will all have similar class hours, but significant difference in out of class work. My impression from knowing Harvard and Chicago people (and Dad's from knowing David and Rachel) is that Chicago demands more outside work (Harvard, I was told, stresses extracurricular activities). Madison and Stern probably fall behind even Harvard in work per credit hour. Northeastern Illinois University will assuredly pull up the rear.

We need an objective measure. For instance, if we could measure the hours of work it would take a person of average IQ to get the median grade in a given institution. Of course, no one on this blog is of average IQ and with the possible exception of Northeastern all the colleges attended assuredly had student bodies above the average.

5:47 PM

 
Blogger Tobie said...

Yeah, well, my survey is a heck of a lot easier to conduct than yours is.

8:18 PM

 
Blogger Tobie said...

Who the heck is Bobber 2? I'm almost tempted to guess that it's Joe again, but we all know how wrong we are were about that the first time around. And how the heck did he get onto the limited blog if it isn't Joe?
Btw- if you're deleting his comments, feel free to remove this one as well.

10:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home