Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Michael Jackson

Shavu'ot has been over for all of half an hour at the moment and already the news has reached us here in Israel that Michael Jackson has been acquitted. Of all charges. The overwhelming reaction was a curious one, although I myself shared it- one of disappointment and a sort of... disgusted thwarted-ness. (yes, I know I invented that word). As if what happened to Jackson had any effect on our own lives. And it wasn't just moral outrage, which would be somewhat logical, but instead as if it were some sort of personal vendetta. Now, I happen to hate and despise Jackson, but why? Why don't I just feel a distant sort of negative moral disapproval? Nor do I think that it's just his alleged crime, because other people have been accused of similar things without my feeling personal loathing. But somehow, there's something about just the sight of that man's terrifying, perverse face that makes me wish he had not only been convicted but also sentenced to death. So much for my high faluting (sp?) notions of justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home