Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What to do

Yosef's school, Akiba Schechter, determined that they would not be able to handle Yosef next year. Instead, they arranged for Virginia Frank, a kindergarten for more difficult children, to take him next year. I think this is a decision they made months ago, before Yosef's dramatic improvements of the last three months. The person who Yosef sees at Virginia Frank every two weeks did not think it justified but they will defer to Akiba on the matter.

The problem is that Virginia Frank is on Touhy next to the Bernard Horwich JCC, quite a bit away from our home in Hyde Park. If I drive him up North every morning by 10AM (when VF begins) and wait until he gets out at 1:15, I will certainly need to bring Chaim and Ruti. I suppose we could easily place Chaim in preschool (perhaps at the JCC), but Chaim seriously needs speech therapy. We are, in fact, much more worried about Chaim's future than Yosef's (everybody says Rachel was the same way and IMHO she turned out OK).

We can get speech therapy through the Chicago Public School system. However, something on the north side may be considered to far out of district for us. Moreover, even if we could overcome the out-of-district problem, it may be that Chaim's start time would be significantly before Yosef's. The latter would be bad principally because I would probably have to drive with the kids during rush hour and thereby increase the already large amount of time they would spend in the car.

Rachel and I have to consider the possibility that we should move up north. This would be annoying because 1) the cost of moving in time and money is not insignificant, 2) we will move in another year anyhow, 3) we would have to get another car, and 4) we had looked forward to Tobie joining us in Hyde Park.

UPDATE. Unless I am speaking about what's for dinner, I really should check with my boss before I make statements about what we "have to consider." I have been informed that we most certainly are not considering moving for at least some of the aforementioned reasons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

I think that Talia's suggestion is definitely worth trying. If you say that he's really improved, as he seems to be, maybe they'll be persaudable.
Good luck. (and please don't move. I need free food and company next year.

3:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home